Sunday, April 13, 2008

Busy Days!

Wow! I didn't realize all that I can get done when I put my mind to it! This past week has been so busy! It all started with deciding to sell our house. Then we decided the bathroom needed painting and that the kids room trim needed re-painting. After doing that, I thought the caulking in the bathroom needed redoing to match the nicely painted walls. Well, that turned out so nice that we decided we should paint the other bathroom upstairs. Then we were noticing how oddly the hallway downstairs was painted--the trim is oppisite of the two rooms connecting to it--checkerboard-like--so next we painted that--and boy it took forever because you have to be careful not to get any paint on the grout on the floor and the trim around the doors and baseboards was dark green (in the living room and kitchen the baseboards are the light cream color--kind of weird) and we were painting light cream over it--so it took some doing to cover the green. But it looks GREAT now!

While I was painting the hall Jon was replacing the dead microwave that is over our stove (we have been using a regular microwave on the side). Wow! I had NO idea what a project that was going to be! We couldn't get that old microwave out for anything! It seemed to be wedged up into the wall between the cupboards. We were pulling and hanging our bodyweight on it to try to get it to move--no success. We googled it to see if there was another way--screws we didn't know about commecting it somewhere (we had already moved the screws on top that seemed to be the only thing securring it). We found our exact microwave--GE Spacesaver 1986--and lo and behold! We were doing exactly what it said! So now we figure it is just jammed tightly between the cupboards and we just have to get it out. Well, Jon started pounding at it and taking it apart--I got a little worried about radiation exposure as panels started coming down. Then he started undoing this screw--the microwave budged! There was another screw on the other side and one more screw that were all holding the microwave to studs in the back of the wall through the upper vent. If he hadn't taken it apart up there--we would have never found them. The microwave came out nicely and easily--a little too easily--after that! Boy it was a beast too!



The new microwave took quite a while to install. 9:50 pm came around and Jon realized he needed some bits for his screw driver to finish installation. He made it to Home Depot 2 minutes before it closed and got what he needed.


The first picture is the kitchen with the old microwave--doesn't the new one look GREAT!--and now we can have more counter space!

This is the other half of our kitchen--I love our huge kitchen!
Meanwhile I was finishing painting the hallway which I then realized that the hall had a wall that connected to the kitchen--I now have a painting project for tomorrow. The kitchen! I didn't realize the hall and kitchen "off-white" color was PEACH! With the nice new creamy-white hallway--you can REALLY tell that our kitchen is peach and green, not cream and green!

Well, here are some pictures of the changes in our house! It has been really nice not only to paint, but to organize and get new furniture and finish sewing curtains I started when we moved in! All of the things I have wanted to get done since we moved in (well, not all) I have been getting done this past week!

We got new furniture--yeah! I made the curtains that are in my room--I think they are cute.


I repainted the trim in the kids room--the previous owners had painted half of the baseboards green and only the bottom half of the baseboards were white--they must have been in a big hurry!
Well, that is how our house is coming! Now we can post the pictures on some house selling sites!

6 comments:

Em said...

Hey, your house looks amazing! I love it. I can't wait to come over and see it sometime. The couches look really good and your kids room is so cute. good work Eds.

Becca said...

um your house looks so dang good. I would buy it!!!! It really looks so beautiful. I should come and see it. Hmmm. MAybe sometime this week. Good job though. That's a lot of work!

Heather said...

Holy Cow you guys have been busy! It looks fantastic. Really, great job!

Jeremy said...

Way to go! I had a similar experience in replacing my microwave.

How is Jon's new job coming?

John said...

I am glad for this blog. Because I have had us paint one or two and even three rooms per season John says that I am like your mom doing all these projects. Well, I think that you have officially proven John wrong. If I tried to get all that done in one week, including all of the fun stuff you did, John would drop dead. Maybe now he will think I am more relaxed then he did a few minutes ago.

By the way, it looks great!

Mary said...

Wow! Gorgeoso! How many sq ft is your townhouse? It really looks beautiful--good job!!! (I may be repainting our bathroom, plus the girls' room, due to the damaged paint and wallpaper-I have never done that before...do you think I will be grown up after doing it?)